Sunday, December 11, 2011

Back from Hiatus

I've been offline for a few weeks while we have been very busy moving! As exciting as moving is, I had no idea how crazy and busy it can be. The packing was the easy part and the unpacking has just been awful. Cooking has been the last thing on my mind.We have eaten out so much which means everyone has been eating like crap. A couple night ago I made my lentil soup and the world seems right again.

Lentil Soup



I tried making lentil soup about 6 year ago when I first really got into cooking. I used a ham bone because my mom always did but other than that I had no idea what I was doing. It tasted like a bowl of dirt. Awful. Once we started eating Vegan the majority of the time I got into cooking with lentils again. What's the key to lentils not tasting like dirt? WASH THEM!! Really wash them. This simple step and lentils are my new favorite protein source. This recipe doesn't use a ham bone but I found that tomato paste gives it a smokey flavor so I don't really miss it.
I used two different types of lentils for this recipe. (Like always) The red for thickness and the green for texture. If you want a thicker soup, add more red lentils as you go and simmer until soft. (About 15 min) The last time I made this I added some yellow split peas as well. It was awesome. If you have some in the pantry, add them with the green lentils.

1 cup green or French lentils
3/4 to 1 cup red lentils
2 celery stalks diced
1 small to medium onion
3 carrots diced
1 cup diced tomatoes
2 Tbls tomato paste
2 Tbls balsamic vinegar
1 Tbls fresh thyme
1-2 Tbls parsley
Vegetable broth

Heat stock pot over medium heat and add the onion, celery and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until soft. Add the tomato paste and work around the pan to caramelize for a couple minutes.
Wash the lentils in a fine mesh strainer and work them around with your fingers. If you are using two kinds of lentils wash them separate. I like to add the green lentils first for a couple reasons. One, they take longer to cook. And two, you have control of the soup thickness by adding the red lentils during the last 30 minutes of cooking. I like my lentil soup to be thick so I use the full cup.
Add green lentils, thyme, tomatoes and balsamic vinegar to the pan. Stir and cover with broth so the lentils are about 2-3 inches under the liquid. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes covered. Check the liquid amount at this point and add red lentils and more liquid if needed. Oh and stir. Simmer for another 30 minutes covered. I use the emulsion blender at this point to bring the soup together. You don't want it smooth, just incorporated.
Check the seasoning!! Add salt or pepper, more herbs or vinegar. Figure out what tastes good to you. I stir parsley in at the last minute.
Serve the soup with garlic bread for dipping! (Yes I have a great easy recipe)

Vegan Garlic Bread for 2

4 slices of you favorite toasting bread or baguette sliced through the middle (like the freezer kind)
3 large garlic cloves
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon oregano

Finely chop the garlic into a paste. Add to a bowl with the olive oil and stir. Spread over the bread and sprinkle with some salt. Cook at 400 until the bread is crispy. If using sliced bread, put in the broiler for a few minutes to crisp the top. I do not miss cheese or butter!!

1 comment:

  1. Good to have you back! This sounds great. I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete